Craft time: Sheet Music Garland

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Awhile back I found some old music at a thrift store for well, super cheap. Like 5 cents cheap. Now, I do love Goodwill but I never have good luck there when I look for old sheet music. I actually talked to a manager about it and asked him why they didn't have any. He said when it comes in they sometimes throw it away because they didn't think people wanted it. I told him it was very trendy and they should keep it and sell it! I think he thought I was crazy but oh well. Goodwill needs to be informed.

So until they get sheet music I will get it from my second fave thrift store, Gracie's in Tempe. I have been seeing adorable garlands in blogland and I wanted to get in on the garland action. Which is a phrase you probably don't hear a lot.

I got together my sheet music and hot glue and got to work.

Now, I was struggling a bit with how to get words in the center. I started hand embroidering words so I could spell out "O Holy Night" I think I got as far as "O Ho" before I was like... this is WAY to much work. Coley from Junk in the Trunk informed me she used stamps ...and well, I hadn't thought of that before. I had visions on the stamps from the 90s that had like grapevines and weird bouquets. But I went to Micheal's' with my 40 percent off coupon and found some ridiculous stamps that I liked very much. They were like $5 with my coupon! It was awesome.


So I got to stamping an folding an gluin. Which kind of sound like that song wishin and hopin but for crafty people.

I cut circle of burlap for the center and then cut circles of off white paper for the center. I stamped the word joy and hot glue the circles to the twine. It looks kind of ghetto from the back but I don't know how to make it look better, so I just went with it. I made three of them and put them in my tree and they look pretty adorbs if I do say so myself;)

Sorry for the poor picture quality here..hard for me to get a good shot of the whole tree.


And really the banner options are endless. Happy Birthday, Believe, Faith, Hope, Love, Peace....basically any fruit of the spirit. So - if your dreams of being the next Mozart have failed you and all your left with is sheet music - you can be the next Mozart of the crafting world! Tear up your music and get to work.

2 comments:

Scott and Sarah Nichols said...

How about you come decorate my house for Christmas. I have a tree up but you would laugh if you saw it. Ok? You would love Tucson and I'll feed you yummy food! Can you tell I'm desperate over here?

elizabeth said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! NExt years ornament for sure. ;p PS that last shot...loved it. You are so crafty woman. :)

Post a Comment